For non-engineered structures and for old structures which are designed as per then prevalent seismic design standards, it becomes mandatory to carry out seismic retrofitting to make them comply present day design standards. This includes:
- In depth study of existing structure’s structural system and analysis of the same while subjected to loads as per present day design standards.
- Identification of deficient structural elements.
- Conceptualization of retrofitting system. This is achieved either by increasing capacity of required existing elements or by introducing new elements or combination of the two.
- Analysis of the modified system to check its adequacy for the design loads. If found necessary, few elements are revised again. This is repeated until a fully adequate system is achieved.
- Preparation of structural drawings for the retrofitting system