At Lakhlani Associates, we consider structural designing as an intense blend of art and science.
We constantly strive to sharpen our skill in art of conceiving different possible structural systems, using various structural materials, and then visualizing each structural system’s response to all loads likely to act on it. Systems thus derived are tested and compared for their efficiency and refined time and again until the best system is achieved. This has helped us develop quite a number of unconventional structural systems for various projects and one such project has also won a national award.
Once art of finalizing the structural system is performed, science of structural analysis and designing of the system is applied using state of the art computer hardware and software. Analysis and design output results are carefully cross verified before transforming those results in a drawing form.
For each structure designed by us, we try to achieve optimum balance between safety, serviceability, aesthetics, economy and durability. To accomplish this, the methodology followed is:
- To conceive best possible structural system, based on comparison of different systems, and to feel response of the system to various loads acting on it rather than just to follow the calculations.
- To always work in close coordination with other consultants involved in the project. This helps to understand their requirements to be accommodated in the structure as well as timely conveyance of structural requirements to them. This results in serviceable and aesthetically prudent structures.
- Sensible selection of structural materials depending on specific need of the project, local conditions, material availability and local practices.
- To finalize structural system’s configuration and member dimensions such that material strength utilization is optimized and results in to cost reduction.
- To strictly follow design standards’ provisions while designing and detailing the structure to achieve easily executable details as well as safe and durable structures.
- To prepare structural drawings covering every minute detail. Drawings with such high level of detailing help to minimize ambiguity during work execution and help to expedite the work, resulting in indirect economy.